Monday, March 24, 2014

Blog Hop - My Writing Process

Welcome to all 3 of my blog entries! Fear not. More are coming. I plan to start blogging about my quest to make a living as a writer through self-publishing.

I'm getting back into the swing of things with a Blog Hop that my writer friend Tricia Sanders invited me to join. I can't wait for her to publish her CeeCee Cavanaugh cozy mysteries. You can check out her blog and read about her writing process at her blog A Novel Approach.

Here's to living the dream, writer friends.

1. What am I working on?

Way too many projects. When it comes to writing, I have the attention span of 3-year-old at Disneyland. I have started a zombie book, a space opera, a young adult novel, a literary novel, a non-fiction self-help book for overweight teens, a Christmas romance, and a contemporary romance. Someone give me a deadline, please. I did manage to finish a book about my liquid dieting experience: My Liquid Diet, How I Lost 58 lbs, My Eyebrows, and an Internal Organ.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I hope it doesn't. I want my books to have all the qualities that I love in a good story - likable characters, humor, excitement, and swoon-worthy heroes. Even the non-fiction.

3. Why do I write what I do?

I write in lots of different genres because I read in them. Also ideas come to me like a swarm of angry bees, and I swat one away only to be stung by another. I made that sound a lot worse than it is. I actually like the bee swarm.

4. How does your writing process work?

It involves knocking cats off my keyboard, hiding from teenagers, and promising myself lots of chocolate if I actually write something. On one project. For more than 10 minutes.

Then I have a vague idea of scenes I want in the book. I start with one and then write until I work my way logically to the next, adding scenes as I go. It's sort of a combination of pantsing with a very shaky outline. I try to come up with what motivates each of my characters before I start, so I know how they might react in a given situation. What would they do based on what they want out of life?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment